Monday, November 12, 2012

"Sprinkling" the Sky for Samuel

Our dear friends lost their son, Samuel, to Mitochondrial Disease two months ago.  Last week would have been his 8th birthday.  He was an amazing boy, they nicknamed "Super Samuel"!  He was a fighter.  He touched many lives of old and young alike with the love of Jesus, although he never uttered a word. 




Alisa, Bebe, and I planned a party to celebrate his birthday. We wanted to "sprinkle" them with love and celebrate their sweet Samuel.

 
 
All the guests wrote messages to tie on a balloon.  Samuel's best friend!
 
 
We ate lots of sprinkled sugar treats!
 
 
 
 
Some of sweet Samuel's grandmothers and great grandmothers.


                                      We played three legged races.

 
Many fell!
 
 
We played musical chairs...even the dads...
 
 
and moms.  There was fierce competition!
 
 
At dusk, we gathered the balloons with all the messages for Samuel...
 
 
sang "Happy Birthday" to him...
 
 
and let them go...
 
 
and watched them ...
 
 
sprinkle the sky for Samuel. 
Happy Birthday Super Samuel! 
You are missed...
 
 
At his funeral, "In Better Hands" by Natalie Grant was played. 
Though their hearts ache, his mommy and dadddy know
he is in better hands now.
 His mommy now wears this around her neck. 
 

5 comments:

  1. So precious Suzanne. What a wonderful way to celebrate Samuel's life with the people he loved so much. What wonderful friends you are to plan this party and think of all of the details. The necklace is so special as well. Y'all are such a blessing! Of course, I think about how all the kids that attended have this experience and memory of what friendship is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in tears. This is so sweet and such a precious way to celebrate his life and remember him and support his family. The birthday of our son who is heaven is the hardest day of the year for me. I would love for others to remember him and celebrate him on that day. I know this was a special treasure for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all you have done, sweet Suzanne! You have held my hand through so much and I am blessed to call you my dear friend. This day blessed us in so many ways! Love u

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so beautiful Suzanne. Thank you for the beautiful party celebrating Samuel's dear life. And for loving Mary Elisabeth so well

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a Touching Day for you all. My prays are with your family and friends. I know this is an old post but I just found it while looking for a stock photo images of musical chairs. Your image came up for a neighborhood project that I am working on. The project leader showed me the image of your friends and family and she said, I want a photo like this one for the neighborhood post card. As I searched online for a stock image I found the one she had printed out. It was yours. I looked through your memory of that day when you were celebrating the Joy of knowing Sam. The balloons with messages going up in the air was a wonderful thought. You have a good kind heart and I'm glad to know there are kind people like you in the world. Thanks for listening.
    Take Care and peace be with you.

    Veronica Lucas, Graphic Designer City of Riverside, CA.

    ReplyDelete