Thursday, October 25, 2012

Apples and Fish! (and other ramblings)

It's only 1:00 PM and the morning began with Doodlebug taking her diaper off and tinkling in her crib.  That led to sheet washing and yes, even mattress washing!  You remember the days or you might be in them right now with me. 
 
 Then I yell at Mae to put Doodlebug in the "crib", which there is no mattress in, and she yells back, "which crib?"  I yell back, "no I meant the tub!"  So she gets bathed and then she has an accident.   We are in the beginning stages of potty training. She yells "potty" anytime she doesn't want to do something.  Is the potty her manipulation tool?
 
In the midst of all this, I am trying to have a discussion with my oldest about the Holocaust, call out spelling words with J man, etc. 
 
Then a few minutes later I go in the laundry room to find my dirty laundry unloaded from the washer.  I said, "I thought I loaded this?"  My oldest informed me Doodlebug and Peanut had unloaded it. 
 
Then as "M" and I are trying to work on a paper about the Exodus we hear water splashing.  Is it the RED SEA?  In hopes Doodlebug is on her potty we race to the bathroom to find toilet paper unrolled and the two babies splashing merrily in the potty. 
 
 Washed them up and put them in chairs to eat lunch which ended with the usual "manna rained down from heaven" look all over the floor.  I finally called it quits at 1:00 and tucked them snug in their beds! 
 
So now it is quiet...and I think I would like to think about a simpler day.
 
So here goes "APPLES and FISH"!
 
We ventured on a Friday for a fun "field trip" to the apple orchard . Before we set out to pick Doodlebug was more interested in collecting all the gravel in her bucket.  Daddy was prepared for battle with Peanut in tow and his apple picker.
 
"M' identified the type apple we wanted to pick by the ribbon on the tree and she set to work bagging them up.  She is a worker girl!
 
Once in the field, Doodlebug didn't get her game on...
more interested in flowers and grass than apples.
 
I don't think I picked one apple, all the worker bees were fast at it.


And the easy day continued...we stopped in to see Mimi and Papa at a campground not far from the orchard.  The kids played at the park and then we decided to visit the FISH HATCHERY next door to the campground. This is where fish come into the story. 



 We walked around the fish hatchery admiring the multitudes of fish...some big, some little.  THEN it happened.  We looked up and saw the park ranger locking the gate.  He briskly proceeded to get in his truck and drive away.  There was a whole family in this place! HELLO!  Can you see the fence complete with barbed wire at the top.   This is where we were standing.  He didn't even look! 











I then saw a motorcycle pull up to the gate and I ran over and asked if they would please go next door to the campground and ask them to call someone to get us out.  They said I'm sure you can get out somewhere in the back and pulled away.  WHAT!!! Where is a good samaritan when you need one!  I being the mom, got resourceful and found a woman at a campsite reading (across a rushing creek).   Not knowing whether to yell, HELP, or not.  I decided to yell "MAM"!  I yelled and yelled, seeing this as our only hope.  She finally heard me and thought I was yelling for my boy "SAM"!  She was my good samaritan for the day and went to get help.   So that is how "apples and fish" ended up swimming together that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment